Musicals, Musicals! GREASE **** (Dominion Theatre, London booking until 29 October 2022) Box office: 0844…
Friday 17 June 2021 18:45 to 22:00
- Join the party atmosphere at a London Transport Museum Late event inspired by Caribbean culture and its latest exhibition, Legacies: London Transport’s Caribbean Workforce
- Transport yourself to the Caribbean with live music, talks, dance workshops, a DJ, street food and spiced rum drinks
- Browse a pop-up multi-cultural book shop, hear stories from the Windrush generation in their own words and listen to an actor playing a Jamaican born station master
- Explore the Museum’s galleries after hours
- This event is the second Museum Late in a new season to run on selected Fridays to February 2023
- Tickets £15, book online in advance at ltmuseum.co.uk/museum-lates
Visitors can go on a Caribbean Journey on the evening of Friday 17 June at the award-winning London Transport Museum in the heart of Covent Garden. This celebration of Caribbean culture will include the Metronomes steel band orchestra, a get-fit for Carnival-style workshop with Rock it with Rho and energetic costumed dancers, personal Windrush stories from people of Caribbean heritage and a performance by actor Valentine Hanson based on various Caribbean people from the past.
Guests will have the chance to explore a multicultural pop-up book shop called This is BookLove while they listen to DJ Dubplate Pearl play her dub and reggae tunes and then enjoy a bite to eat or drink at the food van or bars from Black Eats London
The event takes inspiration from the current Legacies: London Transport’s Caribbean Workforce exhibition on show at the Museum. Visitors should be sure to check out the stunning pink headdress by costume designer Shari Royer on display in the exhibition.
At the Caribbean Journeys Museum Late visitors can experience the following activities:
- Listen to the traditional music Metronomes Steel Orchestra who have played at festivals and high-profile international events
- Watch or take part in a Waistline Workout with Coach Rho! Bringing the spirit of Carnival to the Museum, this class will get participants ready for carnival with high energy Soca aerobics, waistline drills and techniques! With costumes by talented designer Shari Royer
- Hear the Windrush stories of this generation and learn how London Transport recruited workers directly from the Caribbean in the 1950s. Learn about the London people encountered upon arrival, and how journeys past and present have shaped the London we know today. This event has been made possible by working with Transport for London’s (TfL) Raising Awareness of Culture and Ethnicity (RACE) Staff Network Group and its chair Gloria George from TfL
- Meet Herbert Kendall, a 1960s Jamaican born Station Master played by actor, Valentine Hanson. He will tell you all about how he was hired by London Transport and travelled over from the Caribbean
- Browse This is BookLove, a brilliantly colourful travelling book carnival and pop-up bookshop filled to the brim with all things multicultural and educational. Offering inclusive and culturally representative books for adults and children, as well as dolls and flags
- Savour a variety of food and drinks from Black Eats London, the UK’s first and only Black-owned restaurant directory. Tasty treats will be provided at the Caribbean Street food-stall, Food Fusion 97. Soft drinks can be bought from the Pure Cane and The Coconut Shack and there will be a bar serving spiced rum drinks
- DJ Dubplaterpearl will be on the decks playing dub and reggae tunes https://dubplatepearl.co.uk/
- Join Samantha Williams (Founder of bookshop, ‘This is BookLove’ and charity ’BookLove & Beyond’) and Helen Sanson (Associate Lecturer at Open University, Assessment Specialist at Awarding Body OCR) in a panel discussion called: ‘Windrush’ The Real Diaspora and teaching Black Migration in School
Tickets to all Museum Late events cost £15 (Concession £12) and can be booked online ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-lates. 18:30-21:00. Over 18s only.
Other upcoming Friday Lates:
- Electric Late, 11 November 2022
Delve into the wonders of electric travel, from innovations of the past to fantastical visions of the future that will revolutionise the way we live.
- Permission to Play, 24 February 2023
Make the Museum your playground in a night of fun and games. Try and win big in transport bingo, join a balloon bus derby, or race against the clock on a Museum-wide scavenger hunt.
Find out more at ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-lates