Tickets now on sale for the ‘Transport & Stories’ Open Days event
21-24 September, Acton Town, West London
- Visit London Transport Museum’s Depot in Acton – a working Museum store full of amazing objects from London’s transport history
- Discover the historic vehicles and learn about the people who shaped our transport network
- See a vast collection of vintage Tube trains, buses, maps, and signs
- Adult tickets cost £17 and £8.50 for children. Children aged 3 and under go free!
- Concessions available for local residents in Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon
- Book in advance online at https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot/depot-open-days-transport-stories
Between 21-24 September, London Transport Museum is hosting the final Depot Open Day event of 2023, offering the public an opportunity to explore behind the scenes of its working Museum store in Acton Town.
Normally closed to visitors, Depot Open Days are special themed events which allow the public to discover the Museum Depot’s vast collection of over 320,000 objects, not on display in the Covent Garden Museum. Uncover over 100 years of urban transport history whilst enjoying an inspiring programme of activities and events.
At the ‘Transport & Stories’ Depot Open Days event, visitors can learn about the histories and stories of the city’s public transport network and about the lives of the people and passengers who have helped to shape it to this day.
Visitors can listen to curator-led talks, get hands-on in a puppet making workshop, explore the largest collection of transport signage in the world, marvel at the vintage poster stores or simply admire the impressive collection of stunning Tubes, trains and unique road vehicles from London’s past and present. Visitors are encouraged to make a day of it and enjoy the live music, friendly roving costumed actors and delicious street food on offer, adding to the atmosphere and a fantastic day out.
Across the four-day event, visitors can:
- Discover hidden design classics and art originals on a mini highlights tour of the Depot’s world class collections in the Poster Store (Thursday and Friday only) and Art Store (Saturday and Sunday only)
- Take a tour of some London Underground stations – in miniature. Explore captivating lifelike models of stations such as Acton Town, Aldwych and Piccadilly with the Hidden London team (Thursday and Friday only)
- Listen to talks curated to ignite curiosity and provoke conversation. On Thursday and Friday themes reveal intriguing stories of London’s Transport network, past and present.
- Look out for historic roaming costumed characters – say hello to London’s first Black bus driver Joe Clough, and Harry Beck designer of the iconic Tube map, which is 90 years old this year
- Get stuck into a crafting workshop the whole family will enjoy. Create your very own transport-themed puppet show inspired by your journey to the Acton Depot, or your fantasy journey
- Indulge in nostalgia and contribute to ‘Memory Mile’. Share your transport adventures and stories, whether it’s a daily commute or life-changing brief encounter
- Climb aboard the London Transport Miniature Railway (Saturday and Sunday only, £1pp tickets sold separately on the day)
- Have a go at being a train driver in a Victoria Line driving cab and learn how trains on the world’s first automatic railway keep their wheels turning. (Saturday and Sunday only)
- Strike a pose at one of the transport-inspired Selfie Stations – then share the love online #LoveTheTube
- Enjoy an authentic taste of the Caribbean with delicious street food from Auntie Bonnie’s Jerk Pit, or grab a hot drink and a sweet snack from the Mini Bean Coffee bar
- Delight in a display of ‘Poems on the Underground’ posters and admire the lyrical legacy of this much-cherished 35-year-old project
- Pit your wits against the Hidden London team, on hand to share terrific Tube trivia at an interactive stall – snap a selfie in front of a London Underground roundel
Visit ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot-open-days closer to the event date for the full programme of activities.
The ‘Transport and Stories’ Depot Open Days event takes place on 21 – 24 September 2023. Adult tickets cost £17 and £8.50 for children. Children aged 3 and under go free.
Concessions are available including local resident tickets for residents of Ealing, Hounslow or Hillingdon.
Book in advance online at ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot/depot-open-days-transport-stories