Grab your calendar and let us help you fill up your 2024 itineraries with some…
Tickets now on sale for ‘The Big Build’ Depot Open Days event
16-18 June, Acton Town, west London
- Visit London Transport Museum’s Depot in Acton – a working museum store full of amazing objects from London’s transport history
- Enjoy a rare opportunity to explore the Depot at ‘The Big Build’ Depot Open Days event this June, with talks, tours, vehicle displays, and family activities
- Peruse a vast collection of historic Tube trains, buses, maps, and signs
- Adult tickets costs £17.50 and £8.50 for children. Children aged 3 and under go free!
- Concessions available for local residents in Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon
- Book in advance online at ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot/depot-open-days-big-build
London Transport Museum is opening the doors to its Museum Depot in Acton for one weekend this June, giving the public the chance to explore a working museum store full of amazing objects from the capital’s transport past.
Inspired by the 160th anniversary of London Underground this year, ‘The Big Build’ Depot Open Days event will offer guests a line-up of talks, workshops, and family activities that delve into the history of the Underground’s construction and its evolution over the years – from feats of ingenious large-scale engineering to the brilliant design details that have created an internationally recognised brand.
Visitors will see original plans for the Underground on display, and marvel at the different tools used to dig the first Tube tunnels to see how they compare to modern machinery. Alongside many historic vehicles, posters, signs and maps from the Museum’s collection, ticket holders can also see the original versions of Harry Beck’s iconic diagrammatic Tube map, first issued 90 years ago in 1933.
Normally closed to visitors, Depot Open Days are special themed events throughout the year that offer the public the chance to explore the Museum Depot’s vast collection of over 320,000 historical objects not on display in the Covent Garden Museum, while enjoying a lively programme of activities.
At ‘The Big Build’ Depot Open Days visitors can:
- Learn about the evolution of the Tube network over the last 160 years in a talk from Head Curator, Matt Brosnan, who will explore its history through a showcase of twenty fascinating objects from the Museum’s collection.
- Meet and chat to historical costumed characters who’ll be bringing to life key moments in London Underground’s history; look out for designer of the iconic Tube map, Harry Beck.
- Enjoy a live demonstration of heritage train signalling equipment.
- Put their engineering caps on and try coding electric toy trains! Suitable for children aged 8+ (Saturday and Sunday only – tickets sold separately on the day).
- Get crafty at the ‘Make and Take’ station to design and make a personalised oyster card holder.
- Step into a Victoria Line driving cab and learn how the trains on the world’s first automatic railway work (Saturday and Sunday only).
- Join tours of the Depot’s small and large collection objects to discover gems from the Museum’s collection.
- Get stuck into singing and stories in the Family Zone (Saturday and Sunday only).
- Go for a ride on the London Transport Miniature Railway (Saturday and Sunday only).
- Peruse the Depot’s vast collection of vintage vehicles, maps, transport curiosities, and the largest collection of London transport signage in the world, showcasing various font prototypes, layouts and design styles.
- Visit the original 1930s District Line Q stock train cars and check out the progress being made on this current restoration project.
- Shop for exclusive gifts and souvenirs – from moquette pattern socks, scarves and cushions, to framed posters, limited-edition prints and authentic Underground signs.
- Enjoy a delicious, hot meal from local food vendors, Auntie Bonnie’s Jerk Pit, or grab a hot drink and a sweet treat from the Mini Bean Coffee mobile bar.
Visit ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot-open-days-big-build closer to the event date for the full programme of activities.
‘The Big Build’ Depot Open Days event takes place on 16-18 June 2023.
Adult tickets costs £17.50 and £8.50 for children. Children aged 3 and under go free.
Concessions are available including local resident tickets for residents of Ealing, Hounslow or Hillingdon.
Book in advance online at ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot-open-days-big-build.